Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

Where was the warning label????

I just got back from my first visit to the doctor since January. The nurse who checked me in, actually came and asked me if it was possible that someone recorded my weight wrong the last time I was there.
I proudly said, "No.. I really did weigh that much before"
For a moment, I was proud again of my accomplishments.. for a moment

then, she asked me, "why are you here today?"

And I had to tell her the truth... and with a downward, broken hearted glance, I had to tell her that because of that wonderful, rapid weight loss that she was just gushing over me for... I needed to have the doctor run some tests to see if I had done any damage to myself or not.

She immediately stopped gushing over my weight loss... took down some notes, and shook her head as she walked out of the room.

The doctor came in... so proud and ecstatic to see my weight loss.. knowing that he and I had discussed it many times over the past few years, and then as he listened to HOW I lost the weight (with Kimkins- low carb, low fat, and usually 600-800 calories) he said... "Well, starvation always works doesn't it... but hopefully you only lost weight and nothing else important for your body to function properly."
I had to tell him all of my symptoms.. and I had to admit them to myself first. I had truly felt all along that I was 100% healthier because of losing my weight. He and I both discussed the fact that I no longer have back pain, restless leg syndrome, insomnia, or low blood sugar "shakes" in the morning.

But.. then we also discussed the fact that I did experience some negative side effects from my NUTRITIONALLY DEFICIENT diet. And.. I was lucky.. I only had a few.. and they were not constant.. so I usually just brushed them to the side of my mind and ignored them as "oh, that's normal".
Here's my side effects:
1. extra periods (told this was normal)
2. loss of hair ... loss of about 60% of my thickness if not more. (told it was normal, and even looked it up online for myself! Saw that it said it was common in people who were dieting and skimmed over the part that said "fad diets" or nutritionally deficient diets.)
3. Lightheaded dizzy spells- never mentioned these to anyone .. they were not an everyday occurrence, and I had them sometimes prior to this diet so I easily ignored them.
4. Weird blurred vision- like my eyes would dilate at different degrees... things would get fuzzy and look far away and warped.. I would then readjust my own "focus" and a few minutes later it was back to normal. Again.. I didn't mention it.. figured it was a fluke.. it only happened a few times.
5. heart flutters- never mentioned these to anyone either. Even when they happened, I dismissed them in my mind as quickly as I could. (these are still happening randomly)

Other strange things I noticed:
6. Peanut butter CRAVINGS... like really super cravings... and I knew I wasn't the only one having this. I read post after post after post about people who were feeling guilty for giving into peanut butter or any kind of nuts. So, I wrote this off as "normal"
7. Milkshake CRAVINGS... again.. these cravings were much stronger than any craving I'd ever had before dieting. I heard lots of other people also talk about craving milkshakes, including my mom who also did the diet.

both of these "cravings" were something that I, along with many others, chalked up to a strange coincidence, and I either ignored it.. or caved in a little and then felt extremely guilty about it.
Now, I'm really wondering if there is something in the peanut butter(nuts) and milk shakes that our bodies were SCREAMING for!!! Like maybe more fat? Calcium?

I often typed in "listen to your body" over and over again in posts.. and it wasn't until late August that I started to realize that even cravings were a way that our body tells us what it needs.


Anyway... I still don't know if there's anything wrong with me or not.. my doctor has ordered lots of tests to see where I'm "depleted" of certain things, and warned me strongly that while being extremely overweight isn't good for your health, or for you heart... that sometimes losing it all super fast and not getting all the nutrients necessary for bodily functions.. is an even quicker route to heart disease.

So, now I'm wondering.. where inside Kimkins does it list "possible side effects"? Where is the "warning label", the "if these symptoms arise, get it checked out announcement" ?
With EVERY weight loss pill or plan that I've ever been on, there has been a warning list.. and a "common side effects" or even "in extreme cases side effects" list.. that I always read. I know myself.. and I just about always choose NOT to take medicines that have side effects that concern me. If I had been warned about these things, I don't think I would have joined. If I had been warned about the possibility of these things, I certainly would not have convinced others to join!

The sad part really is, is that I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with these symptoms until I started reading OFFSITE.I hated reading those "other forums" because they made everything sound so bad. They made me feel bad, and they exaggerated things so much. But, the symptoms they mentioned sounded vaguely familiar to me. They knotted up my stomach, and made me want to either fight or run away and pretend I never heard what they said.
I saw some try to fight them....
and I resorted to my usual, curl up and ignore it technique for awhile.

If I did mention my worries to others inside Kimkins I only got pats on the back and reassurances that of course everything would be fine, and "that's normal, don't worry!"

And NOW.. it's even worse.. if you even ask about a negative effect, you're likely to be "accused" of stirring up the pot, or if you point out your negative side effects, you're likely to get banned. :(

How is that safe for other members??? Shouldn't everyone be made aware of symptoms to be on the look out for? I'm sure there are lots more negative effects that I didn't have... and from the stories I've heard elsewhere.. I can only count myself lucky.

This is not a joking matter, this is not time for a "band-aid" announcement that "of course, you should always check with your doctor". Or even comments to make those of us who "ignored symptoms" appear stupid or crazy or "extreme". This is time to get real and time to take your health seriously.

How many of you truly talked to your doctors about your plan?
Did you show him the food list?
Did you mention that you really only eat a few items on that list?
Did you show him your fitday?
Did you write symptoms off as normal because you heard someone else had the same thing?

I said that one of the reasons why I wanted to lose weight was because I wanted to be here long enough to see my kids and future grand kids grow up.

Now, it's possible that losing weight has lowered the chances of that actually happening.

I remember when we often joked about how Kimkins didn't need that little small print disclaimer of "results not typical" on our success stories.

Perhaps she does need to put up a disclaimer that "results ARE typical" on the side effects listing!!!

If you're still doing Kimkins, as written or not... please stop for awhile and really take a look at your own symptoms. Don't glorify your "pros" list and minimize your "cons" list.

You can get those "pros" with lots of safe plans, and eliminate the cons. Just think about it. And don't ignore the promptings of your heart right now.

30 comments:

MrsA said...

Deni, I hope that your test results come out well! *HUGS*

Paula aka Sissypoo said...

Deni, when I was doing kk I was only eating 400-500 calories a day. I went to the dr last week and they called me today with my blood results. They were all normal. I was thrilled. I hope your tests come back normal too.

chickycola said...

Your in my prayer Deni!
I was at my Dr. Thursday reviewing my blood work, all is good, thank goodness. I do have a slightly elevated thyroid, but nothing to worry about he said, we repeat the blood work in November.
A note for anyone on Birth Control hormones...Hormones are stored in Fat, and therefore rapid weight loss releases lots of these hormones in your system. It could cause lots of things like longer periods, continual bleeding (I have that, it's lovely), or no periods but Most worrisome is that it could make your birth control not WORK! I need to make an appointment with my gyn and talk with her, but my Dr. warned me to be careful because I'm currently on the Depo shot.... and well, what if I lost the fat pockets that were stored in those hormones all at once?

Becky said...

Blessings to you, dear Deni!

debby said...

hey deni!! I know you'll be fine, your a christian and God takes care of his children!! and if everything isn't ok, it's fixable, so don't worry, cast all your cares on Him! i was reading on the lowcarbdiscussion today and you were questioning the fat/protein, i can't find it, but i had a suggestion. i bought a pack of sunflower seeds, 1 serving has 15g of fat, 4carbs, minus 3grm of fiber, sounds like a good fat snack to me! i hate eating the regular sunflower seeds, but this is the pack with just the kernels.
well, keep up to good work and you are such an inspiration!!
debby

Amy Dungan said...

I'm praying your results are come out well Deni! (((HUGS)))

Deni said...

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes! ;)


Debby-
I'm gonna have to check out those sunflower seeds! I used to love those.. they would be a great "sneak into the movie's snack!"

Trista said...

I'm praying that everything will be ok with you. I enjoy reading your blog. I appreciate your Godly character, and sweet spirit. blessings, Trista

leaveme alone said...

Deni- I hope that all your tests will come out fine. You are very brave to share this. I hope that it will be a wake up call for someone else in a similar situation.

Deni said...

I was just thinking about how "hearing" about other's concerns helps us become aware of our own nagging sympotms. I really hope that this becomes true here with this post.

I was thinking some more after I blogged, and realized I forgot one symptom...and I don't even know if anyone else has this, or if it's just simply a side effect of being thinner... but just in case it's something that I can learn more about by sharing.. then here goes..
I'm FREEZING all the time!!! Any time I'm in air conditioning.. I literally have goosebumps, and shivers. I bring a jacket with me everywhere we go...even though I live in Florida and it's summertime!!! (almost fall on the calendar.. but if you know Floriday, you know that means it's still summer on the thermostat!)
So... anyone else having this symptom? It's not a "big deal" and it's something I would normally chalk up as me just being weird.. but after laying everything else out on the line I figured it can't hurt to mention it. It literally annoys me to no end! My dh and my kids laugh at me as I shiver under my blanket on the couch at night!

ORNurse said...

Deni, I hope everything turns out ok. I think it should. I was only on kimkins for 6 weeks and just not feeling good so that is why I went off. As soon as I did I felt to much better. I am know doing Atkins and have not felt like I did on kimkins. Good luck.

Diane H said...

Deni, thanks for posting this information. As a KK success story, it is important for people to hear the whole truth.

What's even worse than the lack of a "warning label" is that Heidi gave you "pats on the back" to encourage you and tell you it was all normal WHEN SHE HERSELF HAD NEVER EVEN DONE IT!!!

All the advice she gives people comes from out of nowhere!!! That's what makes it so dangerous.

I too hope your tests come out ok. Thanks again for sharing!

Unknown said...

My very best wishes to you. You are very brave and helping a lot of people - I'm sure of it.

Sue said...

Deni, good luck with the blood test results. What ever comes back you will be able to deal with it. The body is very resilient and can jump back quickly when given the right nutrition.

Sue said...

The shivering and getting cold easily could be a thyroid issue. That's one of the symptoms of an under-active thyroid. Or you might just feel the cold more now without that extra padding.

ShAwWiFe said...

Deni- dunno if you remember me. I wrote a few times to you on KK. you were always my inspiration over there- and you still are. I continue to read you.. it made me laugh kinda when you talked about freezing all of the time.. I do the SAME thing. my DH thinks I am ridiculous.. but geeez.. I freeze. I put it to all the weight I have lost :) I am doing KK.. and I have not had any odd side affects.. it works for me! :)

Deni said...

Shawwife!
Yes I remember you!!! You are one of the ones who I have missed and wondered about the most!!!!
Please tell me you are being smart about everything!!! I'm glad to know that you know where to find me if you ever have any questions that you doubt will be answered properly inside Kimkins. Keep in touch okay??

Sue-
the doctor is running thyroid tests... thanks for telling me that was a symptom of that.. I never knew that!!! AGain.. just another "silly' thing that all us Kimkiners would commiserate together as being a normal oddity!

Of course, I pray that it isn't my thryoid and is a "skinny" problem.. but I do know lots of skinny people who aren't shivering or covered in goosebumps every day.

Nicole said...

The shivering thing? That can be a lowered metabolism. Your body isn't burning enough energy to keep you warm.

And a low calorie diet can contribute to that.

I really hate to say this, but anything that cuts your calorie intake down like that (500 - 800 calories) is a starvation diet. To me, it screams anorexia.

I hope that everything comes out well for you.

Unknown said...

Deni, you are courageous and God Bless You for sharing your story.

I hope you're tests all come back normal. You're in my prayers. Carol

reesie said...

Deni thank you so much for sharing, I know these things have to be hard to write. You have my prayers and thoughts

p'La said...

Deni---
I am confident you will have good results from your tests. It would be hard not to worry now, but keep your chin up and stay positive, At least you made the step in the right direction by involving your doctor with your concerns.
Like Shawwife, I am still doing Kimkins also with no side affects, but I have kept my doctor in the loop from day 1. I feel more confortable about my decision, knowing he is there with his safety net to catch me if something started to go 'wonkie'.
(((Huggs Deni!!))) Be of good cheer and know we all still love you regardless of where you are.

Sue said...

Shawwife and Pamela - Kimkins is dangerous - if you are eating very low calories and low fat you will see side-effects eventually. Pamela, does your doctor know exactly how many calories you are consuming. If your calories are very low - surely he wouldn't condone that! Also, if you ladies are eating adequate fat and calories then you are not doing Kimkins but Atkins.

KimkinsSurvivors said...

Thank you for making a difference to so many in your testimony, with your love and through your healing. May your days be bright, your smiles many, and the lives you continue to impact joyful.

~Kimkins Survivors

Mikitta said...

Deni -

I want you to know I am just praying like crazy for you. This whole Kimkins deal has broken my heart for you.

You know where to find me at PF if you ever want to drop in and say hi :) *hugs*

God Bless,
mikitta

Deni said...

I want to clarify for my friends that remain at Kimkins...
I felt fine while I was doing it too! I didn't realize the DAMAGE that was happening until it was too late.
Just because you are not hungry.. doesn't mean you aren't starving yourself of proper nutrition!!! I was totally deceived into believing that the ketosis hunger control was proof that I didn't need to eat. But, in reality.. the ketosis hunger control basically helps ease the pain of starvation for those that can't get access to food!!!
Just b/c you don't have symptoms now.. doesn't mean it's healthy!!!! Please... don't wait and risk your health!! You need more calories and fat than Kimmer will ever tell you.
Don't let denial for vanity sake end up risking your safety.

Please!!! I have nothing to gain by posting all of this... I wouldn't be involved at all anymore if it weren't for the fact that I care about everyone who ever felt so desperate to lose weight!

Kimmerexia said...

;)

2BIG4MYSIZE said...

I know I'm late to the topic but wanted to leak a little info about coldness on low carb.
yes it can be a slower metabolism and yes it can be be cause the thyroid hormone production is low I am hypothyroid, and it can also be from not having our fat insulation any more BUT if can also be just from the fact that the human body is more efficient at burning fatty acids then it is at burning carbohydrates for fuel and about 4% of that inefficeintness of burning carbs is waste heat energy that we don't get with fatty acid burning. We low carbers either have to increase our own production of waste heat energy from exercise and increased moving or we need to eat a bit more healthy low glycemic carbs for that eneficient fuel burning. Or just bundle up and know your fat burning is working well till you get to goal and then can add more carbs back in a safe manner like Dr Atkins told Atkinseers to do in his Book Atkins for life and Dr Atkins Diet Revolution. not trying to make you be an Atkineer as a goalie but just letting you know there is already a plan in place to allow low carbers to slowly increase with healthy carbs should the coldness be caused just by the low carb eating and nothing medical.OWL carb ladder can be used on any low carb plan

2BIG

Dena said...

Deni,

I have also been experiencing some of the problems that you mentioned in this post. The most concerning to me is the dizzy spells. I originally wrote it off to sinus problems, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's something else. While I was still doing Kimkins, it was way worse but now it still happens on occasion. It's very scary. What does the intense craving for milkshakes and peanut butter mean? I have never been a peanut butter person, but about 2 weeks ago I was craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich SO BAD. It was crazy, I never eat that stuff. I hope everything works out ok.
SunEGrl

GillianIvy said...

Deni Said:
"Just because you are not hungry.. doesn't mean you aren't starving yourself of proper nutrition!!! I was totally deceived into believing that the ketosis hunger control was proof that I didn't need to eat. But, in reality.. the ketosis hunger control basically helps ease the pain of starvation for those that can't get access to food!!!"


Deni,
I couldn't agree with you more. When your body goes into "starvation mode", you don't feel hunger. When I was in the hospital for a week for my Gall Bladder after my pregnancy, I wasn't allowed to eat for about 4-5 days straight. Also, I need to mention, I was breastfeeding, which requires that you take extra calories as well. So because I was attempting to keep up my milk supply, I was pumping once every two hours, so there went all the calories MY body needed. My son was 3 months old at the time. The first two days of nothing but ice chips and popsicles (I wasn't allowed to DRINK water), I really felt the hunger. But day three, my body just accepted it as though I would never eat again. I felt no hunger. Just empty. And I felt so weak, all I did was sleep (or rather, attempt to). On day 5 when I was finally allowed to eat, I managed to scarf down 1/3 of my meal before I was full to bursting, and it took me a long time to eat that much. Then I wasn't allowed to eat again for another stupid procedure... I somehow managed to keep my milk supply enough to exclusively breastfeed after that, and quickly regained those dangerous pounds I lost. Women should not diet while pregnant or breastfeeding. I wasn't even allowed to take my prenatal vitamin. I'm still breastfeeding my son at 10 months now. So I won't attempt dieting until after he's weaned. I'm about 10 lbs below my pre-pregnancy size. Thanks to the calories burned from breastfeeding and crawling around on the floor all day after the baby. I'm excited to fit back into the pair of pants that my butt looks really good in! Kevin was happy 'bout that! ;D

Love ya,
Gillian

p.s.
Hope everything goes fine with your Doctor's visits. Let me know, okay. I only check back on your blog occasionally. Btw, how long were you on the diet and what was your weight loss all total?

Ginny said...

Hi Deni. Gillian told me to make sure I read your blog, and it always takes a while for me to find it [what is up with my bookmarks?]
anyway, I will be eager to hear of your doctor's findings, and praying all is well.
I have never stuck closely to the diet, but only used some of the basics, I don't count calories at all and eat as much as i want. I remember when I lost 75 pounds in one year on nutrisystem back before my husband left me for a fatter woman [which is NOT uncommon]...
anyway, I got freezing cold in the winter, since my fat layer was gone. I'm being careful with my health this time around, and do not have any problems to report. I see my dr. regularly, Monday is my next appointment.
Call me soon, aunt Ginny