Pages

Friday, September 7, 2007

No more pretending....

I recently over"heard" someone saying.. "It seems like we're going on as if nothing is wrong, Isn't something wrong here?"

And it truly reminded me of something from my childhood.

This whole situation, reminds me of dysfunction in my own family when I was growing up. For those of you who grew up in perfectly normal healthy families.. you probably won't understand this post.. but to the rest of you... I'm quite certain I'm not alone in this feeling.

I remember feeling like the person who I "overheard" when I was a child.

I remember wondering why no one was talking about the obvious problem we were having.. and I even remember wanting to scream it... "HEY.. Something is WRONG here.. why are you pretending like everything is fine??"... but.. there was a strong power in the "pretend" factor in my family... and I only screamed them out in my head. But, the silence was deafening...

I remember loving the person who was causing me pain, and loving the people who ignored it and looked away when I needed them the most. And I remember grasping for the strength that the "unity" of our "pretending" gave us. I knew somehow, that IF I did get up and shout "This is wrong!!" that it would divide us... and perhaps hurt even more. So, I pretended... and hid... and wasted YEARS of my life shutting out the truth of who I was in order to protect the power of the pretend story.

I recognize that this is happening right now, and that there are lots of ADULTS who are getting stuck in the "pretend this isn't happening" mode. Even the one who is causing the pain is pretending there's nothing wrong.

I am here to tell you all, that when you get glared at for asking questions, and hushed for wondering things.... it's because it goes against the whole "pretend this problem isn't here" syndrome. Please don't let this go on. Don't allow yourself to quiet your own instincts. Don't think that speaking your mind, or asking your questions will have to mean you've betrayed someone. The truth is, that by quieting your questions, and ignoring the "red flags" that go up in your heart... you are betraying yourself. We are all grown ups now... it's time to stand up and stop being afraid. Time to stop being afraid of believing in OURSELVES. Time to stop being afraid of rocking the boat... time to stop pretending that something just doesn't feel right about this whole situation. And time, once and for all... to be responsible in a position so similar to the ones that remind us of our childhood... and be the adult who says "That's enough".

I know I wished that someone in my family would have stood up and said that when I was a child. I couldn't do it then... for I was young. But now, I am all grown up... and I won't force others to wonder why I wasn't "making it stop".

And I can stand up and say "This isn't right", and still love and be willing to help at the same time. Whether or not my "family" chooses to accept that love and help is up to them... but it doesn't change the fact that I do love them, just as my Father in heaven does.

By not pretending, you are saying that you are going to betray the secret... but that doesn't mean you are betraying the people involved. Imagine this was like when I was a child. If you had been able to prevent me from getting hurt just by speaking up and telling my family that what you had seen wasn't right? Would you have? Would that mean you were betraying the person that was hurting me? OR would it just mean that you were shining a light in the darkness? Perhaps the person that was hurting me was so deep in the dark that he didn't even know it was wrong anymore!

Just think about it okay? I know it's a different situation.. but the underlying patterns are exactly the same whether you recongize it yet or not.

I am not pretending anymore that nothing is wrong. What about you?

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Deni...this post is so spot on...it made me cry. Thank you for your courage in speaking out.

Deni said...

sometimes tears are very healing. :)

Kristy said...

Deni,

Yet again you leave me speachless! I mean what else is there to say but Thank-you once again. Not for speaking out about KK but for giving so much of yourself in the process. It takes a lot of inner strength and courage to speak about things that aren't pretty. Yet you do it so beautifully everytime. You really strike an inner cord with your post today.

Much Love and Hugs, Kristy

Becky said...

Deni, my friend, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. That is exactly what it has become. My heart aches.

You are shining a light into darkness for a lot of people. Bless you.

~kp said...

Bless you truly Deni--you hit the nail on the head. Brilliant and touching...Thank you.

LJ said...

Bravo, bravo.

I appreciate those who remained loyal to Kimmer for so long, but there comes a point when it ceases to be "loyalty" and becomes denial in the face of obvious evidence, and therefore enabling. If you're still believing her, now that she's denying being Heidi Diaz when she was happy to be Heidi Diaz all over the 'net up until now, you are assisting a con artist.

I emplore those remaining faithful: forget about we doubters or 'haters', forget ego - please consider the facts, consider that you're not getting anything from Kimmer that you can't get elsewhere, and ask yourself if you're comfortable helping Kimmer perpetuate her con. At the very least, please do not participate in her fundraising activities - send your own donations directly to whatever organizations she's going to pretend to support.

Unknown said...

Deni - thank you so much for your post. You have hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how I felt when after you posted your goodbye on the Kimkins forum, the members just continued on in the thread like everything was fine. I couldn't find the words, only the question "It seems like we're going on as if nothing is wrong, Isn't something wrong here?" I didn't think that you would find my question, much less provide such a beautiful and heartfelt answer. I know what to do now. I'll speak the truth to those at the Kimkins site that I have come to care about, and will move on to another plan to continue my weightloss journey. It is a miracle to me that you have come through your difficult childhood with such wisdom, and grace, and that you have not turned against God for "allowing" that to happen to you, but have found healing through him. Peace to you. - sincerely Kelly aka soon2bslim

Robin said...

Deni, Once again I have to say that you are truly an awesome person with great integrity and courage.

Thank you for the kind and quick response to the email I sent to you.

Robin

Anonymous said...

Your last line is so poignant.

I love that.

No. More. Pretending.

:-)